PouchContainer - An Efficient Container Engine
PouchContainer is an open-source, high-performance container engine that is compatible with the OCI specification. It is designed to be compatible with the Docker ecosystem of tools, APIs, and images. It is also compatible with the Kubernetes container runtime interface (CRI) and can be managed by Kubernetes.
PouchContainer’s vision is to advance container ecosystem and promote container standards OCI(Open Container Initiative), so that container technologies become the foundation for application development in the Cloud era.
PouchContainer’s most important features are:
- Rich container: Besides the common ways of running container, PouchContainer includes a
rich containermode, which integrates more services, hooks, and many others container internals to guarantee container’s running like usual.
- Strong isolation: PouchContainer is designed to be secure by default. It includes lots of security features, like hypervisor-based container technology, lxcfs, directory disk quota, patched Linux kernel and so on.
- P2P distribution: PouchContainer utilizes Dragonfly (
https://github.com/alibaba/dragonfly), a P2P-base distribution system, to achieve lightning-fast container image distribution at enterprise’s large scale.
- Kernel compatibility: Enables OCI-compatible runtimes to work on old kernel versions, like linux kernel 2.6.32+.
- Standard compatibility: PouchContainer keeps embracing container ecosystem to support industry standard, such as CNI, CSI and so on.
- Kubernetes compatibility: PouchContainer has natively implemented Kubernetes Container Runtime Interface(CRI). It will be smooth to migrate from other Kubernetes container runtime to PouchContainer.
PouchContainer is designed to be a modular architecture, which is composed of several components. The following figure shows the architecture of PouchContainer.
Back to Table of Contents
- License under
CC BY-NC 4.0
- Copyright issue feedback
me#imzye.com, replace # with @
- Not all the commands and scripts are tested in production environment, use at your own risk
- No personal information is collected.